PROPOSED INTERIOR RENOVATIONS FOR ST. CECILIA’S CHURCH BALGOWLAH - see full article in 'Downloads' on the main menu.
From the middle of the 1990’s a Parish Renewal Project was established which came focus on the refurbishment of worshipping spaces of the parish at St. Kieran’s, Manly Vale, and St. Cecilia’s,
Balgowlah. Although some initial thought was given to the interior of St. Cecilia’s Church, no designs or plans were drawn up by the consulting architects and liturgical advisors.
From the end of 2011 and through the current year 2012 discussions have continued between the parish clergy, members of the Parish Renewal Team, St. Cecilia’s Sunday Liturgy Co-ordinators, the
Parish Pastoral Council and the Parish Finance Committee, as to the priorities for some refurbishment at Balgowlah.
A preliminary budget of $100,000 was set in the context of projects at both parish churches and at the conclusion of the Parish Planned Giving Campaign in the months of February/March 2012 the financial viability of the work was confirmed.
In May 2012 a working party was established comprising the parish priest, members of the worshipping congregation, liturgical co-ordinators and a representative of the Parish Renewal Team
to prioritize the proposed renovations to the church.
A condition report on the building carried out in 2005 and a recent electrical inspection, have shown that there is no major structural issue nor any major electrical problem at this time.
The results of the discussions to date have led to the following list and the proposals are to be presented to the congregation in the coming weeks.
1) Reconciliation Room
2) Recovery of original baptismal font and placement on lower step South side of sanctuary
3) Tabernacle to be fixed to small chapel outer wall
4) Wooden platform to elevate altar
5) Removal of pulpit and placement of celebrant’s chair on left side close to previous pulpit.
6) Install new carpet throughout nave (body of church)
7) Create new elevated lectern in centre of sanctuary reusing rendered stone from old side altar
8) Design storage area inside South side of entrance (& interiors of old confessionals)
9) Use of iron railings to create divider in sanctuary
10) Recess above high altar to be filled if possible and feasibility of lowering crucifix investigated
11) Recommended electrical work to be done
12) Reversal of hinge on large screen to rotate away from sanctuary window